Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"Life's not about what's better than…"-John Butler Trio



"No, you get a hug." That's what she said, and then proved it. I did get a hug, and she gave it to me. Wow! I’m moving up in the world. I'm used pockets full of ire. What do I do with a hug. For lack of something better, I returned it.


Now I don't have the hug anymore. That's ok. I enjoyed it while it lasted.


Don't ask me to do that writer thing where writerly people use all those big cool adjectives to describe things. This was a married pregnant woman, and although I really enjoyed the hug I'm not going to cheapen it with words like "squishy," "smelly," or "sweaty." I won't put words in her mouth; if that's what she thought, and how she wants to describe hugging Rob, I'll let her do it herself. Me, I rather enjoyed the hug.


It was a church. She was outside on the steps talking with some friends from our Wednesday Bible study, and I stepped out of the church and into oven. She looked up, excused herself and gave me a hug.


What's better than a hug? Her husband offered me an office air conditioner! Oh, he doesn't know enough about it to be sure it'll work for me, but still. He offered. A hug and an AC? Ask Hugh Grant, you can't find those things on an LA street corner. And not without ending up in the newspaper the next day. I decided to hang around and see what was next.


Nothing. I'd experienced my highlight. I did get to help one of the elders put away a folding table. My self-indulgent side was most disappointed.


Uhm excuse me? What's in this for me? A new car, maybe?


That was my Sunday. Monday came and went. I think the highlight was this post on one of my blogs:


I have nothing fantastic to say but you know I can't just keep my big mouth shut so I wanted to tell you I was here.


Huh. WHEEE!


I leave my desk and go get some water. I'm sweating from all the excitement. As I'm gathering the ice from the freezer, I realize something. I'm dismissing this post, but still this is much more than I had last year. Last year at this time my network was all but non-existent. Last year today my highlight post was:


There ya go, Humor, the best medicine!


Gee thanks. I'd just come home to an empty house and I was choking it down the best I could.


Mmmm! Can I have another spoonful of laughs please!


So what happened? How did I get so popular? Well, I stopped bitching about MyEx leaving for one thing. I kinda had to suck that one up. After that, well I thank my mom and dad for my natural beauty and charm and beyond that, I don't know. And considering what I've got, I still think Quasimodo can ring more bells with his bell tower charisma than I ever could with my hermit hideaway hokum. I really am not that charming. Ask MyEx.


Still, I share qualities that other people can identify with. I try to put myself out there so that I can help me, and in the process, maybe help them. Despite the fact that I work at home, I try to get out when I can.


I'm NBC. I'm building my network. This season, we're adding Friends.


In one of my blogs last season I lamented that I felt so alone. I wondered if I disappeared, would anybody notice? Today I know there are those that would, and they're not just bill collectors. What's more, by taking 20 seconds to post, my "nothing fantastic" friend has made sure that I know that.


It's a hug, a post, an air conditioner. They're the things that keep me alive. You too! Because, you're in this as well. See, if you're reading, you somehow identify with me, even if you were just Googling "Hairy-Butt Studs in Miniskirts," you came here. I'm here for you.


The truth is it's so hard when we're going through a divorce, because all we want to do is curl in a ball and forget the world. Yet it's the world that we want to forget that's on the other end of our lifeline tether.


We need to get out and rebuild. It takes time but it's worth it. Trust me, that's what I did. That's what I'm still doing. Rob wasn't built in a day, and contrary to popular belief, all roads don't lead to Rob. They should. But I'm still having zoning issues. That's Ok, for now, I work on making Rob available on all roads. I'll make Rob a household name.


That's right! I'll make it synonymous with your everyday. You'll holding conversations and you'll include me by name!


"What happened today?"

"I was Robbed."

"Really?"


Ok, maybe not that, but I'll work something else out. The point is, I'm trying. So should you! Get out there, be visible, be Gumby, and extend yourself! The people you meet today, will carry you through tomorrow. Believe me. You're carrying me right now. Yeah sorry about the beans for lunch.


Hey!

Ouch!

Come back!

0 comments: